Dearest Party Conversion Van:
First, thanks for making the party AMAZING. Not sure LongBranch knew what hit them 🙂 Friends are taking the idea back to Memphis and Houston. I think we may have started a trend! Congratulations to the inappropriate winners Scott and Kristina. Send me pics if you’ve got some. I need full editing rights on those puppies. Some are already posted on the facebook invite and will be sending out others later. Don’t have anything planned for the near future but thinking up potential St. Pattys fun. Second, I am not a fan of either blogging utility I’ve checked out. Looking for something a little less dictatorial about my spacing. In the meantime, here’s a party train to plan your week with. Every day is jam packed with goodness. Third, I officially have tickets for the show choir at my desk. Last, official happy birthday Calysta!
Yours in “I need more hours in the day”,
New Coupon Site: www.bradsdeals.com (thanks Chris)
New Happy Hour: Paggi House: 5pm to 7pm, Tues-Sat, 1/2 price appetizers, 1/2 price wines by-the-glass, 1/2 price specialty cocktailsNew Travels: NYT Top Destinations: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/01/11/travel/20090111_DESTINATIONS.htmlNew East Side Bar: White Swan Lounge. http://www.yelp.com/biz/white-swan-lounge-austin
New Fabulous Find: The Cupcake Bar. Build your own. And yes, they have pop rocks to add to your cream cheese icing, wait… what?
New RANDOM: Sushi Train, kgsushitrain.com, choose your dish from the belt, stack your plates ($1,$2, $3) and then check out with the waiter according to how many you have.
New Adventures this Week:
· Korean Barbecue, Korea House. VERY COOL. Sit at a table with a gas cooker in the middle. You order thinly sliced marinated meat and cook your own on a domed piece of cast iron Wrap cooked meat in lettuce and rice with a spicy bean paste. Served with 8-10 small side dishes like kim chee, tofu, garlic spinach, marinated potatoes, etc. Picture attached.
· Frontera Fest: Fringe Theater: Happens through Sun 2/14. Every night for five weeks there are five short plays in Hyde park theater (tiny) and you get to vote for the best. Every Saturday the best of that week’s plays, and at the end of the fest, the best five plays for the whole five weeks. Suprisingly decent plays. Grab a glass of wine and some mussels at Vino Vino (down the street) to make a fun artsy evening of it
· Madam Mamm’s: Suprisingly good near-campus Thai restaurant. I guess because it was near campus I assumed it would be shoddy but the food we had was delicious and the menu extensive and reasonable
· The Yogurt Spot. 16 flavors of frozen yogurt, 32 shopping, 32 cents an oz. YUM. http://theyogurtspotusa.com/
Wednesday January 21st
· Pre-Carnaval Happy Hour, 5:00pm, Sampaio’s Restaurant, http://www.SambaParty.com: win Carnaval tickets, posters and great gift certificates from area costume shops Cienfugegos, 9:00pm, Ruta Maya, 7:30-8:30 PM, Free Salsa Lesson
· Kevin Welch f/Reckless Kelly, 10:00pm, Continental Club, $7 cover
· Monte Montgomery, 8:00pm Saxon Pub, $10
· Chinese New Year Celebration, exclusive tasting menu, Kenobi Sushi
· Tighten Up Chili Party with Not In The Face &, Tba at Beauty Bar
· Tia Carrera, Emos
· Farmers Market
· Beehive, 60s girl music group, Zach Theater, through 2/22
· Speakeasy, the brew, free salsa lesson at 9
Thursday January 22nd
· Grounded in Music’s VIP Benefit Party, Gibson Showroom, $100, Patty Griffin headlines
· Jazz Musician, Chris Botti, Paramount Theatre, $25-$85.
· Brad Paisley & Dierks Bentley, 7:30pm, Frank Erwin
· Bruce Robison, Texas Disposal Ranch, Buda
· Patrice Pike & Joy Davis, Uncle Lucius, 8:00pm, Saxon Pub
· Arts and Drafts, Every Thursday 7:00PM @ Rio Rita (East Side). Knitting and booze. Hell yeah.
· Shoal Creek Ribeye Night: 1 lb ribeye and fries 12.99. b/c we all need more beeeeef.
Friday January 23rd
· Alan Haynes, 10:00pm, One-2-One
· Brett Dennen, 9:00pm, La Zona Rosa
· Chicken George, 10:30pm, Lambert’s
· Cienfuegos, 6:30pm, Central Market, N.Lamar
· Del Castillo & los lonely boys, Gruene
· John Legend, 8:30pm, Bass Concert Hall, After party at Speakeasy
· Patricia Vonne, 10:00pm Continental Club, $10 cover
· Bob Schneider, Antone’s, 6p
· Texas Home & Garden Show, through Sun 1/25
Saturday January 24th
· Adam Hood, 1:00pm, Gruene Hall
· Bleu Edmondson, Gruene Hall
· W.C. Clark, 8:00pm, Saxon Pub, $10
· Jo’s 3rd Annual Chili Cook Off, Jo’s coffee, SoCo
· Winter Beer Education Series, NXNW, find out which brews pair best with a wide array of cheeses for a truly flavorful experience.
· Farmers Market
Sunday January 25th
· Adam Hood, 10:30pm, Saxon Pub, $7 cover
· Texas Guitar Women with Sue Foley, Carolyn Wonderland, The Bluebonnets and More at Antone’s
· Build your own bloody mary at Cover 3
1/25: Badfish: a tribute to Sublime, Emos
1/30: Cross Canadian Ragweed1/31: Luckenbach blues festival, http://www.luckenbachtexas.com/, Road Trip anyone? 1/31: Back in Black–The Ultimate ACDC Experience, Aces lounge
1/31: carnaval Austin
1/31: Verdi Opera, Rigoletto, Feb 4, 6, 8
2/5: OAR2/7: Susan Tedeschi
2/6 – 2/7: Ron White, Paramount
2/28: flogging molly
Did you make it this far? Congratulations 🙂