Party Tricks: (ha yes, I called you tricks.)
The addition as promised. Don’t think I missed any important events except for First Thursdays. Combine that tonight with half price appetizers at Cissi’s market from 4-7 and you’re well fed AND in the know. See attached – Texas Spring events calendar for all your hill country activity planning needs. Annual events, festivals, best places to see wildflowers, etc. Lastly, Big XII fans, you might enjoy this. If Big XII was in the middle east: http://www.espnaustin.com/node/778. Clever and written by a longhorn. Not a combo you usually see. HA!
Yours in “is it Friday yet?”,
Its Spurs and Chaps, Cowboy Hats: It’s rodeo time ladies and gents. That means a lot of fun and GREAT concerts for a tiny price. Entrance into rodeos and concerts usually range btwn $20 and $30. Want to see clint black/josh turner/sara bareilles/carlos mencia/pat green/reba mcintire? Done.
· February 5th – 21st. San Antonio Rodeo. Great performances. Actually thinking of heading down Monday Feb 16th for Brooks and Dunn if anyone’s interested in making the trip. Jack Ingram, Cross Canadian, Taylor Swift, etc. Lineup: http://www.sarodeo.com/sarodeo/rodeo_concert/concert_lineup.html
· March 3rd -22nd: Houston Rodeo: If you’ve never been, it is well worth the trip. Not only is the official entertainment top notch, the real entertainment lies in seeing the true Texans in public. Rhinestone belts, 10 gallon hats, tightest starchiest wranglers you’ve EVER witnessed. Walk around, drink beer, eat a turkey leg the size of your femur, shop, dance, part-ay.
· March 13th – 28th: Austin Rodeo: http://www.rodeoaustin.com/default.php . Not as big as Houston (obvi) but it’s got a lot of heart and a wider variety of shows that are non-country. Plus, its geographically desirable 🙂
Most interesting movie find: CHE presented in two parts, adds flesh and plenty of blood to the iconic, 2-D stencil of Ernesto “Che” Guevara, whose face adorns the shirts and camo-green satchels of a whole generation of suburban urchins armed with plenty of angst but very little knowledge and even less experience. http://www.originalalamo.com/Show.aspx?id=6154
Deal of the Month & FREE Ladies Night: Bird’s Barbershop http://www.birdsbarbershop.com/
Friday, February 6, 6-9pm, Birds Barbershop @ 6800 Burnet Road: FREE LADIES NIGHT. Boy band karaoke hosted by drag queen diva, Complimentary chair massages, Free nail adornment, Sweets, Make-up touch-ups, Girlie drinks, First 50 ladies get goody-stuffed gift bags! DJ & BFF photo booth. Girl-friends get half off all month long with Birds’ BFF referral program. If we don’t see you at the party, get a Ladybird this month and we’ll hand you a half-off heart to give a girlfriend who’s never been to Birds. Once your newbie girlfriend gets her hair cut, your next one is half-off too. Two BFFs for the price of one $39 Ladybird. Recessionista-style.
Most disturbing restaurant name: The screaming goat tacos, www.thescreaminggoat.com, let’s hope that doesn’t influence their musical selections. Speaking (writing?) of Tacos… I’ve talked about Tierra Linda but I neglected to provide location. 183 and Fairfield Drive, Shell Station, phone #: 922-0309. Just say “tacos de maiz”.
Most Random Menu: A place called Shiner Saloon has Baguettes? Shrimp Dip? Pecan Crusted Chicken? Wow. Http://www.shinerssaloon.com/chuck_wagon_grub.html
Free yum yums: las margaritas, free margarita everyday, free beer after 5 pm and weekends (limited time only, while supplies last)
I Heart Pizza Party: Brick oven monday night madness, buy a large pizza, get a med pizza free. Look in chronicle for coupon. Ten for $10 Tuesdays: 10 great bottles of wine for $10 each
Good to revisit:
· Upscale: Belmont Happy Hour M – F, drink specials: beer, $3; calls, $5, house wine, $5, $5 appetizer menu including shrimp cocktail, ahi tuna sliders, roasted poblano quesadilla
· Downtown: Logans, half price apps, 5-10pm, drink specials on tues/thurs
Cheap Fish: momiji, half price sushi, sun – thurs, 5 pm – close, beer, wine and sake buy one get one 1/2 off (equal lesser value), eatmomiji.com, half price menu: http://eatmomiji.com/1_2_Price_Menu.php
Must-hears: According to my confidential sources, Gaslight Anthems and Heartless Bastards are THE new cool. And they’re playing in April together.
3/4 Modest Mouse, Waller Creek Amphitheatre
4/2 Stephen Lynch
4/24 Etta James, Austin Music Hall
5/10 Bonnie Raitt