Hello friends and hangers-on:
Nightime is the right time. Or so it seems when you look at this party train. Even after the exhaustion of SX, this town plods on, unwashed and undeterred in the pursuit of turning my social calendar into a nightmare.
Tribute bands galore. Actual event is on Friday (Heart? Devo? Elvis Costello? Got you covered!). Rest of the week includes tributes to Miles Davis, CCR, all female (who would’ve guessed…) tribute band Lez Zeppelin and of course, Greatest American Heroes (bad TV theme cover band). Also this week, Cuban night, African dance party, Paella on Sundays at Vino Vino and Keep Austin Spicy Festival. Tonight is Wine Wednesday at specs, green pastures blind wine tasting and wine and cupcakes at house wine – you can probably make it if you race over there. If not, no fear. Lamberts has $10 off wine on Sundays with some jazzy jazz and as mentioned in a past party train, 30% off all bottles at Cru.
Also starring: Woot.Com. There’s a woot off tonight – for those of you not in the know, they auction off stuff at pretty low prices until the “stuff” runs out. Also, in case you’re thinking of wielding a firearm or just think it’s funny: Free one year NRA membership: http://www.nrahq.org/nrabonus/. The website actually says “Make the ultimate commitment with a Life Membership (all at special low rates) and receive the Charlton Heston Commemorative Knife!”
Oh and this. In case you’re taking a break from your frozen pizza, Chinese takeout diet: Free Olive Garden Recipes http://www.olivegarden.com/recipes/
Can’t promise a party train next week as I’m headed to Atlantic City for a wedding and will be trying to tee up all the work stuff. I’ll try my disappointed darlings, I’ll try. We are headed to Poodle Dog Lounge Friday for Happy Hour. Pool and bring your own liquor. Boo ya.
Yours in “my friends are all getting married and I’m still getting drunk”,
This week’s adventures:
· Gruene Market Days: Cute, kitschy. Go for the crafty gifty stuff, stay for the music and lonestars at gruene hall
· Lone Star music, Gruene: Go in to browse all kinds of local music.. and have a free Ziegen Bock to boot!
· San Antonio – Mi Tierra – Micheladas are better than mine, and that’s saying something.
· Troubadour bar – 6th — Just another bar on 6th. I did appreciate their no cover during SX.
· Kenny Dorham’s backyard Hoodoo blues fest: I don’t know if it will come around again but so worth it. Go see Topaz. They were awesome. I was also drinking heavily in the sun.
To Try and Report back to me:
· Been to Paris? Yeah, this is nothing like the paper thin nutella covered delights. Out of a trailer and strangely intriguing flavor combos, Flip Happy Crepes: http://www.fliphappycrepes.blogspot.com/
· Doing the 10k on a bet or an actual runner, go map that out: http://www.mapmyrun.com/
· Cases of Mondays, disposed of here: Mexican Martini Mondays, El Mercado, $3.99 Mexican Martini
· Urban Assault Ride: Austin, TX: 6/28.Their actual tag line reads beer, big wheels and mustaches. Totally kick a$$.
Party with a purpose: CharityBash is a monthly event hosted by a variety of downtown venues. Each bash is connected to a different local nonprofit and local business. The goal is to get twenty and thirty somethings in the loop with organizations in need of support. Pros: find a cause worth contributing to, meet new people, party with a purpose. www.charitybash.org. The next CharityBash event is this Thursday, March 26th, from 7 – 10 p.m. at Speakeasy. There is a $10 minimum donation to participate.
Single Ladies: Young Mens Business League is hosting their annual party. April 2nd. $25 to drink, eat and schmooze with people that think they’re young businessmen.
Beer n Bugs: Yearly crawfish party. Aluminum tubs of boones farm, scooter-coolers and lots of mudbugs. Also great music. 6203 Shoal Creek West, Austin, TX 78757, Saturday, March 28, Starts at 2, music at 3. Bring a chair. I suggest a donation to the hosts as well – it’s a private residence with a huge backyard. I will be found with a bottle of boones farm sangria strapped to my hand.
· Specs Wine Wednesday: $10 gets you tons of wine, apps and a free glass
· 2nd Street Districts art and shopping. http://www.2ndstreetdistrict.com/index.aspx?pageId=events
· Eric Tessmer Band, Antones
· Wine Tasting Challenge: Green Pastures, Wine Bat Blind Wine Tasting Challenge: Texas vs. France. For $25 guests will blind taste eight different wines served with an assortment of artisan cheeses. Guests will be eligible to stay after the tasting to enjoy a three course dinner for an additional $25.
· Retro Cupcakes and Wine Happy Hour, $13, http://www.austin360.com/calendar/events2/etc/userEventDisplay.jspd?eventStatus=Approved&eventid=235937
· Talent and musician contest, La Fuentes, Every Wednesday night at La Fuentes is talent night!! Come take the stage and compete for cash prizes and fame
· Cienfuegos 7:30pm Ruta Maya HQ , Cuban Nights!
· Creedence Clearwater Revisited
· Dan Dyer 10:00pm Momo’s $7
· James McMurtry & The Heartless 12:00am Continental Club $7
· Lonesome Heroes 10:00pm Hole In The Wall
· Monte Montgomery 8:00pm Saxon Pub $10
· Spazmatics 9:30pm Cedar Street Courtyard
· Theater- “My Mother’s Italian, My Father’s Jewish, and I’m in Therapy” features Steve Solomon’s one-man comedy play that brings all characters to life http://http://www.austintheatre.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Home
· Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Alamo Drafthouse
· Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Alamo Drafthouse
· Nerd Night Austin, Opal Divines
· Cry Blood Apache Emo’s
· Gougers 10:30pm Saxon Pub $8
· Ian McLagan & The Bump Band 8:00pm Lucky Lounge
· Jack Ingram, Rodeo
· James Hand 6:00pm Saxon Pub
· Linda Eder w/Marvin Hamlisch 8:00pm Long Center PAC $39-$99 An Evening of Great American Music with the legendary composer Marvin Hamlisch and recording star Linda Eder
· porterdavis 8:00pm Saxon Pub $10
· Uncle Lucius 10:00pm Darwin’s Pub
· Belleville Outfit 10:00pm Momo’s $10
· Fourth Fridays, East Side, blues, vendors, booze
· Tribute Band Marathon: Heart, Elvis Costello, Nick Lower, Black Keys, Devo
· Greatest American Heros 9:00pm Carousel Lounge
· Guy Forsyth 8:30pm Cactus Cafe $15
· LC Rocks 9:30pm Cedar Street Courtyard
· Leon Russell Gruene Hall, Gruene New Braunfels
· Mingo Fishtrap 9:00pm Threadgill’s World HQ $10
· Positivo 9:00pm EsquinaTango, 209 Pedernales $10 ‘s newest and truest salsa band
· Sunny Sweeney 8:30pm Saxon Pub $10
· Zilker Garden Festival
· Keep Austin Spicy Asian Food Festival. Fiesta Gardens, 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. $5, Sample the delicious food found in Austin restaurants like The Clay Pit and Thai Fresh, cultural music and performances.
· Kat Edmonson, Tribute to Miles Davis
· Big African Dance Party, Copa Bar & Grill
· Baby Got Bacteria Emo’s
· Brass Ovaries Pole Dancers Emo’s
· Carolyn Wonderland Nutty Brown Cafe
· Dan Dyer 10:30pm Lambert’s
· Kevin Fowler, Rodeo
· Patric Pike & Joy Davis 11:30pm Momo’s $12
· Suede 9:30pm Cedar Street Courtyard
· Suzanna Choffel 10:30pm Lambert’s
· T Bird and the Breaks n Mohawk
· Uncle Lucius 9:00pm Darwin’s Pub
· Walt Wilkins & The Mystiqueros , Rodeo outside
· Scabs & Mingo Fishtrap, Antones
· Beer & Bugs *
· Zilker Garden Festival
· Jazz Night featuring Ephrai
· Capitol 10k
· Ephraim Owens, Brannen Temple, Red Young, lamberts, $10 off bottles of wine
· Jon Dee Graham & Friend(s) 8:30pm Continental Club Gallery $10 w/Kathy McCarty, Matt The Electrician, Freedy Johnston, and Jesse Sublett! benefits Music Project
· Milkdrive 8:00pm Momo’s $7 Dennis & Noal of South Jug Band
· Resentments 7:00pm Saxon Pub $7
· Lez Zeppelin at The Parish 8pm
· Free booze and conch fritters, Opening new Tiki Bar in Manor: http://www.yelp.com/events/manor-grand-opening-of-kahunas-tiki-bar-and-grill-benefitting-make-a-wish-foundation
· Texas LoneStar Rollergirls, Austin Convention Center
· Mexican Martini Mondays, El Mercado, $3.99 Mexican Martini
· Bob Schneider’s Lonelyland 8:30pm Saxon Pub $10
· Dark Castle 7:00pm Emo’s Inside
· Matt the Electrician & Southpaw 7:00pm Saxon Pub $10