This party train is totally going to save your life this week. So many fabulous things — lots of time wasters, great events, free stuff and of course, LOTS of reviews. The parents come in town = we eat. Take advantage of my learnings grasshopper. But first, this:
- By the numbers: 7 Steps to Happiness & 50 Movies to see in 2009
- College Football! This week commences every Saturday tailgating or at BD Rileys for Irish games (with sound, with brews, with fellow fans) Join!
- Jerk move or totally hilarious? These people ruin other people photos… on purpose or accidentally. http://thisisphotobomb.com/
- Hilarious chronicle of one woman’s life: http://www.dooce.com/
- America’s 25 Douchiest colleges: Is yours among them?
- This Top 25 involves more than success on field: Breaking down the best college football game-day experiences (hint: go irish) <-Thanks Amanda
- Want to be a totally creepy stalker? There’s an app for that!
- Michigan sucks. They make babies cry.
Yours in an ever-widening circle of hyperactivity,
Free and Cheap:
- Vista Print is having a huge sale… car magnets & premium business cards & crazy stuff is free. I just ordered Party Train business cards!
- Fu for Yu is here! Through September 7th, bring two friends to Mama Fu’s, mention “Fu for Yu”, and get a FREE entrée! Details here.
- Free chicken sammy at Chick Fil’A on Monday for wearing team jersey: Chick Fil A
- Labor day sale @ Whole Earth Provision Co –> 20% off anything already on sale!
- 25% off Four Hands furniture until Sept 7th
- Free MP3 From amazon: I love music
- Free movie screening “I am Bored”. RSVP here.
- Dennys! Click here for a Printable Coupon to Denny’s for a buy 1 get 1 Build Your Own Grand Slam
- 20% off coupon for Harbor Freight (hammmmmock): Harbor Freight Coupon
- Free one time pilates session at joymoves: Free one-time (first time) 30-minute Pilates session
- Amys Ice Cream: $2 pre-scoop special for this Friday-Sunday. They pre-fill your cups then deliver them with spoons, napkins, and toppings
- Free day of Yoga: Enjoy 67 free classes at all five Yoga Yoga centers during Austin’s 10th annual Free Day of Yoga! www.freedayofyoga.com
- Joymoves: Some Pilates Props Being Sold at Deep Discount: Pilates Mats, Magic (Power) Circles, Half-barrels and 2 lb weights for your home use. Ask our front desk next time you’re in.
- “Toys R Us Cash for Clunkers” – turn in old kid stuff for discounts on new ones @ toys r us
- Ulta 20% off at Ulta with code: 28671
- Lowes is having another 20% off on all energy star appliances.
- Half Price books: Save An Extra 20% Off Everything Sale: Thursday, Sept. 3 through Monday, Sept. 7
- Facelogic: 60 Min Relaxation Facial with Upper Body Massage, Facial Mask, and Full Service Microdermabrasion of the Face, Neck and Chest Area and Complimentary Lip Treatment. Special: $59; Originally: $99
- Borders Member Super Coupon
- Macys 10% or 15% off Storewide (til 9/7): Coupon Here
- Boston Market: 50% off any Family Meal or Market Feast. Valid Sept 5-7 only: http://www.bostonmarket.com/pdfs/LaborDayCoupon.pdf
- Avenue 5: 10% off all color services during September!
• Mondays – Free Conditioning Treatment with haircuts
• Tuesdays – Free Hot Tool Style with color service
• Wednesdays – $5 off Skinceuticals Facials
• 10% off all color services
• 2 Creative Nail Polishes for just $6
- Sailing for a Cure: 2 hours of sailing, $50, goes to the leukemia society. Plus, it’s tax deductible. Score!
- Austin Body Choir (ecstatic dance!) first class is free at galazy dance studios
- Trapeze Lessons: They moved to that soccer place onsouth manchaca. 50% OFF for any Single Class that you attend during the first week — through September 6th! Use promotion code: I Love Trapeze
- Downloading for the hungry: For every copy of Internet Explorer 8 downloaded from here, Microsoft donates $1.15 to Feeding America. If you upgrade from IE6, they’ll double their donation. Even if you switch to Firefox immediately, help give Microsoft’s money away.
- The Grape Stomp: September 12th. Who can stomp the mostest? www.grapestomp.com (Thanks Christa!)
- Joes Bar & Grill: Friend Lacy says their Mac n Cheese is to die for. http://www.yelp.com/biz/joes-bar-and-grill-austin
- Fortune Chinese Restaurant: Jon says :It’s on N Lamar and it was AMAZING. I highly recommend featuring it. We had dinner, but they also have Dim Sum every day”
- Yama: Round Rock — Best Chicken Katsu?
Reviews: (my yelp)
- Fado Irish Pub: Nothing if not consistent
- East Side Show Room: To fancy for it’s own good. Great people watching though. Hello hipster!
- The Alligator Grill : Gross. Seriously.
- The Tavern: Their White Wings are amazing and service was fab, even at 11 on a Saturday night.
- Mister Tramp’s European Sports Bar & Café : I was so gung-ho… and now, just eh.
- Mrs Johnson’s Bakery: Dont be fooled — Shipley’s is just as good
- Aquarelle : Half price apps? Fancy atmosphere? This is the place.
- Buenos Aires Cafe, Este : Food and new location are really worth checking out.
- Rio Rita Lounge : Try their margaritas and infused vodkas and UNO
- Cuatros : Decent food, decent prices and $6 pitchers
- Bob and Mike’s Chicken : Terrible. You might get suckered in b/c mighty fine is across the street but don’t.
- Eggmen6:00pmMangia Pizza – Guadalupe no cover
- James McMurtry & The Heartless 12:00amContinental Club $8 cover Jazz Pharaohs 6:00pmElephant Room no cover
- La Mona Loca (formerly Cienfuegos) 9:00pmRuta Maya HQ 7:30-8:30pm Free Salsa Lesson
- Soulphonics9:00pmCarousel Lounge
- Amy Cook &, Guests at Scoot Inn
- Beach Boys n/a Carlos n Charlie’s $40.
- Gailia Kenneally 6:00pmElephant Room no cover
- Hot Funk in the City 10:30pmLambert’s
- 90’s Dance Party with Orion and Doneski at Beauty Bar
- Old School Quote-Along Keg Party! at Alamo Drafthouse Village 10pm, $10
- Dustin Welch, St Cloud at Stubb’s
- The Monster Rock Sing-Along at Alamo Drafthouse Downtown 10:20pm, $12
- Torchy’s Tacos Birthday Party at Torchy’s Tacos on S. 1st 7-10pm, Free admission, Free beer
- Extract Midnight Screening at Alamo Drafthouse Downtown Midnight, $8.75
- North Central Church Of Yelp Gatheration
- Nerd Nite 6 – Cinema, Symbology & Poop
- English Style Trivia Night @ The Screaming Goat
- September 4th – 6th, Kerrville Wine & Music Festival, Fri, $24.00 / Sat. $28 / Sun, $28. Three 6-hour evening concerts and two 2-hour afternoon concerts
- FREE BOOZE: enormous party in a mansion with all the trimmings.
- World Champion Goat Cook Off Weekend. Seriously.
- Blues for a Cause: Gary Clark Jr.
- Alan Oldies Bandn/a Continental Club $15 cover*The Legends of Rock ‘n’ Roll featuring
- Barbara Lynn n/a Continental Club $15 cover*The
- Brew 9:30pmElephant Room
- Brothers & Sisters n/a Scoot Inn
- Gourds n/a Threadgill’s World HQ
- Liz Morphis8:00pmEddie V’s Edgewater Grill no cover
- Long Shadows, The 10:00pmHole in the Wall $3 cover Hole in the Wall SURF PARTY…wear your swimsuit!!!
- PAOLO NUTINI 9:00pmLa Zona Rosa
- Paolo Nutini 5:00pmWaterloo Records and Videos no cover
- Super Lite Bike 9pm door Flamingo Cantina 21+
- B scene Art Party at The Blanton 6-10:30pm, $5 members, $10 general+
- Rebelution, Iration at Antone’s
- Robert Earl Keen, Cross Canadian Ragweed at Stubb’s
- Paramount Summer Classics Gone With the Wind at Paramount Theatre 7:30pm, $8 door / $7 advance
- Mix & Make Happy Hour with The WonderCraft at Speakeasy
- Date and dash Speeddating Party, – No Cover!
- Blaggards 10:00pmFado Irish Pub
- 13th Annual Grape Stomp Weekend: http://beckervineyards.com
- Little Woodrows on 6th, everything in the house half price all day long. Ft. uncle billys bbq and ACL ticket drawing
- First Saturday @ Independence Brewery – Free beer tours!
- Bruce Robisonn/a Broken Spoke
- Charlie Robison 9:00pmGruene Hall, Gruene New Braunfelsno cover
- Cross Canadian Ragweedn/a Whitewater AmphitheaterNew Braunfels
- Curtis Grimes 8pm door Cheatham Street Warehouse San Marcos
- First Saturday @ Independence Brewing
- Five Things – Five deadly sinful things
- Jimmy LaFave n/a Threadgill’s World HQ
- Robert Earl Keenn/a Whitewater AmphitheaterNew Braunfels
- Subrosa Union 9pm door Flamingo Cantina 21+
- Tea Murchants 7:30onCactus Cafe $12 cover
- Warren Hood & the Hoodlums n/a Saxon Pub
- Labor Day Feast @ Southwest Bistro
- Hot Rod Truck & Tractor Pull in Belton. Really. Trouble Maker Truck
- Charlie Robison 8:00pmGruene Hall, Gruene New Braunfelsno cover
- Cienfuegos 7:00pmRuta Maya HQ $5 cover Salsa Lessons Every Sunday Taught by Sandra Moro Sleeper Of Street Salsa 2pm-5pm
- Malford Milligan 6:30pmNorth by Northwest Brewery no cover
- Flametrick Subs Wraymen at Beerland
- WOXY Party at Scoot Inn: $5 admission gets you free Tito’s Vodka, Sweet Leaf Tea, BBQ, drink specials and live music from Black Before Red (members of Okkervil River and Shearwater), TV Torso (new SOUND Team project), Martin Crane (of Brazos) and English Teeth. 6pm $5, No RSVP, Scoot Inn
- Austin Handmade Post-Screening Shabang : Free drinks by Treaty Oak Rum, snacks by NadaMoo (dairy free ice cream) and a DJ. The film Handmade Nation is premiering this Sunday in Austin at 1:30 and 4:10pm, and Austin Handmade is hosting the after party at its new location just around the corner from the Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar.
6:30-9:00pm Free, No RSVP 2009 S. 1st St.
- Soul Track Minds and JJ Usher n/a Antone’s Night Club Super Soul Monday’s are BACK!!
- Monday, September 7th is a free day of yoga at pretty much every single yoga studio in this town. Considering I’m a regular at our only donation-based studio, I know where I’ll start out…
- Swing by the Four Seasons Austin to dip into their salt water pool, watch iron man, eat up the complimentary snacks, and splurge on the half off margitas.
- Go crazy with bands, kegs, yoga, and cheese all in one place for free.