Why hello darlings.
I know its Thursday and you’ve been tragically lost without the party train but i’ve been busy watching baseball games and getting caught in the rain. Sadly, no pina colodas however this week has so much variety you’ll forget the past three days’ doldrums.
Here it goes: soul, funk, 80s, texas country, free steak, free vodka, free movies, cajun restaurants and zydeco, free waffles and a corporate bullshit tester, trivia online and simpsons trivia sunday, free day of dance and stellar upcoming events. No reviews… haven’t had time to yelp but they’ll be included in the next one.
So… its the end of a short week. Why dont you use the below to waste some time/have some laughs/win friends and influence people?
- Not on twitter? Here’s one reason you should be: 10 useful or funny tweets to follow
- Oh also, this. AMAZING. http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays <– Thanks Bina!
- Like to host house parties? Like avocado or Windows 7? What? http://www.houseparty.com/events
- Do things like this make you feel tragic and unproductive? Teenager invents solar panel using human hair
- Bored? Love trivia that can be as easy (name 30 fast food restaurants) or has hard as youd like: Sporcle <– thanks cameron
- People have kids… who knew? Fun things to do with kids in Atown
- Can you guess the school and the mascot according to helmet? http://www.sportsjungle.com/helmetgame
- Too much corporate bull? Download this bullfighter app and run your corporate comms through it to assign a corporate BS score.
- This is hilarious and slightly unbelievable. Is it really a crazy advertisement or a really ridiculous guy?
Yours in I totally can’t wait for my party train business cards and i know its ridiculous,
Steals & Deals
- Get a daily coupon for 50% off at Groupon
- Thursdays in September at Fado: 20% of food sales go to St. Baldricks
- Half price movies from Mon – Thurs @ AMC: http://www.amctheatres.com/promos/weekdayescape/
- Build a breakfast at Dennys & get 20% off valid 5am-11am only til 10/10
- Half price sushi at Momiji: http://www.eatmomiji.com/
- Charming Charlies: For one day only (THIS Thursday, September 10th), spend $50 or more, and receive a bangle bracelet and a $5-off coupon to be used between October 1st – 12th. PLUS, mention Austin Tidbits and receive a darling ring to match your free bracelet. (Offer good while supplies last.) More details here.
- Pet owners: September Dental Discount Allandale Veterinary Clinic (Allandale). 10% off dental treatments
- Quiznos coupon: buy one sub + a soda and get a Sub for FREE. This coupon expires 10/12/09. http://www.quiznos.com/promotions/pepsixtra/
- The Hub. New north Austin bar? Gameday specials: Mimosas and Red Eyes to start morning, Mesquite grilled sausage, 50¢ drafts & 50¢ wings
- Flemings happy hour 5 for 6 at 7: 5 cocktails, 5 wines by the glass and 5 appetizers. $6 each, served at the bar until 7. A memorable start to your evening.
- New Cajun Places: Crawfish shack and oyster bar & Mama Roux
- Texas land and cattle: Half price bar apps from 5-7 and a rumored second helping prix fixe. Working on confirming that
- Flamenco nights at Malaga on Wednesdays
Preview for Amazing Events:
- Sweet ACL-eve party Oct. 1: Open bar (3 Olives Vodka), the Lemurs & other cool bands at Beauty Bar. RSVP for $3 entry http://bit.ly/wRGmB
- Restaurant WEEK: The Fall 2009 installment of Austin Restaurant Week will run from September 13th-16th and 20th-23rd, and is hosted by Rare Magazine. The event will allow participants to dine at the finest establishments throughout the city for fixed prices, ranging from $25-$35. Peruse this site to find the stellar list of restaurants and proceeds benefit AIDS service of Austin.
- Old Pecan Street Festival Saturday & Sunday, September 26 & 27
- Fredericksburg Oktoberfest Friday – Sunday, October 2 – 4
- South Padre Island Seafood & Music Festival w/Kevin Fowler, Ryan Bingham Jason Boland, Cory Morrow, Bob Schneider & More September 18-19, 2009
- Band of Heathens Sam’s Burger Joint San Antonio
- SOULED OUT:Live Soul & Neo Soul, The Historic Victory Grill, 8:30PM
- Be Here to Love Me @ The Alamo Ritz 7:00 PM haunting and lyrical film examines the life and art of the ultimate songwriter’s songwriter, Townes Van Zandt
- Betty Soo 9:00pmFlipnotics, Barton Springs
- Clyde n’ Clem’s Whiskey Business9pm door Flamingo Cantina $5
- Cosmic Funk Express 9:00pmRuta Maya HQ $5
- Stay Gold Djs + Custodian + Dirty Dancing at Beauty Bar
- DR. FUNKDAMENTAL 9:00pmRuta Maya HQ $5
- Fireants Antone’s Night Club
- Hot Funk in the City 10:30pmLambert’s $5
- Ian McLagan & The Bump Band 6:00pmLucky Lounge
- Uncle Bruno 10:30pmLambert’s $5
- free vodka 6-8 at a Tidbits event.
- Catherine Hart artist reception at Art Garage and enjoy some free Lone Star.
- Steakhouse catering, ice cream, and more twitter-folk than could ever imagine.
- I am bored HBO screening, Prince Klassen, food, beverages, awesome…
- Free Free sushi and martinis to benefit families of 9/11
- Sad Wings — Tribute to Judas Priest (Sad wings) & Bat Castle
- Billy Joe Shaver Threadgill’s World HQ/South
- Brunettes 10:00pm Mohawk /inside
- HoneyBrowne9:30pmCheatham Street Warehouse San Marcos
- Owen Temple 11:30pm Momo’s Club $10 21+
- Skyrocket (ex/K-Tel Hit Machine) Cedar Street Courtyard
- UMPHREY’S MCGEE 9:00pmLa Zona Rosa
- Free Super Secret Records Showcase with Manikin Tunnels and The Ape Shits at Red 7
- West African Drum & Dance Workshop , 6:30 PM Synergy Dance Studio, Austin, TX
- Irish football @ Bd Rileys
- Opening Party of Empower Yoga. Enjoy FREE classes all day as well as a party in the evening from 7 – 10 p.m. What could beat a day of yoga followed by a fun fiesta with a DJ, rolls from Sushi Zushi, raw food nibbles from Beets Cafe, wine, and prizes?
- Sinsations Burlesque at Red 7
- Rock the Casbah 36 w/ DJ Mel @ The Parish! 80s dance party
- Saturday 12th enjoy a free day of yoga classes and free food from 7-10 p.m. at Empower Yoga’s grand opening.
- Prince Klassen, Orion &, Guests at Scoot Inn
- Albert and Gage Band Nutty Brown Cafe w/Jerry Jeff Walker
- Band of Heathens 9:00pmAntone’s Night Club CD
- Big Sam’s Funky Nation10:00pmMomo’s Club $10
- Charles Thibodeaux & Cajun Aces 6:30pmCentral Market Cafe, N. Lamar no
- Five Browns 8:00pmLong Center PAC $19-$53“The closest classical music ever comes to a teen pop group,”—The Standard Times.
- Flametrick Subs 10:00pmTriple Crown San Marcos
- Garaj Mahal and special guests 8:30pmRuta Maya HQ $5 Rock-n-Roll Dance Party
- Gourds9:00pmGruene Hall, Gruene New Braunfels
- Jerry Jeff Walker Nutty Brown Cafe w/Albert & Gage
- Mike and the Moonpies 10:30pmLambert’s $5
- One-Eyed Doll 9:00pmKenny Dorham’s Backyard $6
- The Gourds perform Live at the Lake Summer Concert Series 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Sunday Mimosa Brunch w/ DJ Manny $1.00 Mimosas 11:00 AM Paggi House,
- Austin Twestival 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
- Bela Fleck, An Evening with 7:00pmBass Concert Hall *
- Black, Red & Black 7:00pmLambert’s
- Free day of dance classes at Ballet . All day, all classes, all free. Think dance, hip-hop, fitness, and the obvious.
- Cienfuegos 7:00pmRuta Maya HQ $5 Salsa Lessons Every Sunday Taught by Sandra Moro Sleeper Of Street Salsa, 2:00pm – 5:00pm
- Gospel Brunch w/ a Texas Twist 10:30amGruene Hall, Gruene New Braunfels Gospel Brunch
- Louie’s Homemade Jam6:00pmJovita’s
- Marcia Ball Threadgill’s World HQ/South
- Tameca Jones 9:30pmElephant Room
- An Evening with Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussain and Edgar Meyer at Bass Concert Hall
- Yellow Fever: a pub quiz devoted entirely to The Simpsons. 7pm. at Opal Divine’s Freehouse on 6th Street
- Second Sunday Sock Hop is THIS Sunday at Shangri-La. DJs spinnin jams from the 50s-70s. $5. 9pm. 1016 E 6th. http://bit.ly/1ZBLFi